Sunday, January 09, 2011

Go Fly a Kite!

When I was young, my parents had these 2 really nice kites that they would take with us wherever we went just in case there was a breeze. When I was 4 and we lived in the windy country of England we had a big field just beyond our backyard. We would take those kites out, get them up in the air, put an anchor in the ground with the string and sit in our lawn chairs watching them for hours. I have lots of good memories of those kites. A few years back my dad sent me a nice kite that looks just like our old box kites and I love it. Porter actually got one for Christmas from them too so now we have one for each of the kids and they love them. There was no question that we had to go take the kites out for a spin while Nana and G'Pops were here. We packed the lunches and the kites and the kids had so much fun. Brighton actually flew hers on her own and the second Porter tried to fly his by himself (per his request), he dropped it and Kyle had to go chase it down in a neighborhood close by. Once he finally got it back and it was up in the air again, the string broke and Kyle had to once more chase it down in the neighborhood. Now we call that one Lucky because we're lucky we still even have it. Flying the kites brought back some good memories and helped me create a new one. I think I've turned into my parents because now "Boxy" and "Lucky" come with us wherever we go in case there's a sharp Texas wind that we happen upon from time to time.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I wish I could have met your parents...maybe one day I will :)