Sunday, July 22, 2007

"Caught Up" in Kenai





Sorry that the entries have stopped the past few days but Kyle, Brighton, my dad, and I all went down to Kenai to go dip net fishing. We left on Thursday and returned on Saturday with a plethora of fish! We definitely caught our fill! The total was 27 and Kyle was the champion at 13 catches, my dad at 12, and I only caught 2 fish. I know I came out on bottom but it was still super fun and I was glad to catch any! For those of you who have never heard of dipnetting, it is a true Alaskan experience that we couldn't pass up before we left! What you do is take these giant nets hooked to a pole and wade out into the ocean, stick your net in the water and wait for a fish to swim in! Once they do, you drag it to the shore and whack it with a club until it's dead (Barbaric I know, but how else are you going to kill it?!). This takes place at the mouth of the Kenai river where it meets the ocean. It's about the only beach we have in AK that has full blown sand but I wouldn't go wearing a bathing suit there! It was super sunny and nice, but it's always very windy and the water is freezing (thus the chest waders and winter jackets) which makes for false hope. Anyway, we had a great time as you can see in the many pics and Brighton enjoyed her first trip to the ocean and even got some sun! Oh and the whole camping experience was like night and day compared to our first voyage! It was blissful because we brought her pack and play and set it up in the back of the truck! We didn't hear a peep from her all night! What a great vacation and fun way to round off the remaining days that we'll be true Alaskans!




1 comment:

Kara said...

What a fun adventure!