Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Ragnar

So I wanted to write down my experience running the Ragnar but it was too crazy/fun/amazing to put everything I want to down in one post, so I'll give the highlights.
This is a 200.5 mile running race across the Phoenix area divided into 36 legs. Each person has 3 separate legs they have to run. The way it works is van 1 starts at the starting line, the 6 people in their van run their first legs, and then the 2nd van (my van) starts where the 6th runner ends, we run all our legs, and then van 1 is up for their 2nd legs and so forth. Our team started at 8:00am on Friday and we all run through the night and day to end our entire race on Saturday evening at around 5:30. Now that I've explained the logistics a little, I can tell how it was for me. I've been pretty nervous about running this for a while because I haven't run since I found out I was prego with Graham and getting back into the swing of it was a little rough (Especially trying to squeeze in running with 3 kids and Kyle in school.). Don't get me wrong, I have wanted to do this race since Kyle and I were first married, but with other more competitive teammates, I was nervous about how slow I am. The fact that I had a baby a little over 3 months ago didn't help with my fitness confidence. Luckily, everyone was just in it to finish, which we did, and we had a blast in the process. All-in-all I ran 11.1 miles which was the perfect amount for me getting back into running. My first leg was in the afternoon time and was brutal. It was the hottest time of day which was like 80+ degrees and it was in the middle of the desert so the dust and the heat did not help.

After that, my second leg was @ 3:45 in the morning and it was nice. I was in the middle of nowhere, pitch black trail, van tailing and cheering me on, perfect running temps and I got quite a few kills (people I pass). Here I am marking it on our car for proof. Those aren't just mine though. It's our whole van's! I'm definitely not a fast enough runner to have that many kills on my own!

Anyway, when our whole van was done with our 2nd legs, we made it to the high school (where the last major exchange would be) to rest up and get ready for our last legs.

Our van: Melanie, Nate, Me, Sarah, Chris, and Jesica

Here I am waiting at my last exchange. I had only slept like 2 hours in the past 24 hours but I was hopped on adrenaline and gatorade and was ready to get my last leg over.

In this race, everyone meets at the end just before the finish line so we can all run across it together. And since it's such a wacky race, people dress up in costume, paint their faces, do anything funny to cross that line. For example, there was a team called Nuns on the Run who wore habits (made out of head sweatbands) and another called Babes with Babes who were obviously all moms and had kids so they all wore baby carriers (some with babies in them!) across the line. The kids loved it when a Sesame Street team came across and everyone was decked out in full costume. There was Oscar the Grouch, Count Count, Big Bird, Bert, Ernie, and a ton of other characters. Anyway, Nate in our van knew how to make balloon hats so that's what we all wore. It wasn't super crazy, but just enough to show our spirit. It's hard to see where I am so the arrows are there to help you out.

My favorite part about this race was seeing my family at the finish line. They were cheering me on and even brought a sign to show their support! I love the picture that Brighton drew of me running. That's what those wobbly legs are. Little did she know that's what my legs felt like by the end of the race!


Me and my crazy kids. This was the best shot we got all together, but I guess it shows their personalities as well.

They were a little happier in this one.

And I just have to give a ton of credit to Kyle. Without him, I would have never been able to do this. He took care of the kids (including a breastfed baby), he pushed me to train, and he supported me completely in this endeavor. When I crossed the finish line I actually got pretty emotional and gave him a big hug because he really sacrificed just as much to help me do this. He is my stronghold and I am so grateful for him!
Anyway, it was a great experience and I would do it again in a heart beat. It was really fun to be a part of something bigger than me. And the fact that everyone out there was doing the same thing as me made it super unifying and fun. I guess I should plan on more Ragnar races in my future so if anyone out there is into a crazy running experience, let me know!

No comments: