Sunday, March 11, 2012

Attack of the Red Ant


When we lived in Texas, our great friends also lived in Texas about 5 hours away from us. One time when we visited them, their oldest girl got attacked by a village of red ants. Now this was not only traumatizing for her (as she had been attacked by another group of ants prior to this as well), but it was a devastating experience for Brighton also. I really wasn't aware of the trauma it left until today as we were leaving church. I told Brighton to get in the car when all of a sudden she starts thrashing around and screaming "Get it off! Get it off!" You could hear the terror in her voice. I was seriously worried that a scorpion had stung her or something. Then I looked down at her ankle where she'd been pointing and kicking it around and she's saying, "It's a red ant! Like Gracie's red ants!" I flicked it off, but not before it bit her. The entire car ride home she's bawling and asking if Gracie still has her ant bites all over. I assured her that they went away and Gracie had a ton more than she did, so she shouldn't be so upset, which kind of calmed her down. After that I just had to laugh to myself because you never know what is going to stay in your kids' brains and the fact that the attack of the red ants (which happened over a year ago) left such a scar on her was pretty random. It'll be interesting to see the things that are happening now in our life that will make an impact on them down the road.

*Did you ever have that fun dip candy when you were growing up? I used to love that flavored sugar but it was always hard to come by in our house. The kids must have inherited my love for the stuff because whenever we see it, they go crazy for it. Today, Brighton's primary teacher gave them some of it and the kids couldn't be happier. After seeing their green-dyed mouths, I now know why my mom hated us to have it.

No comments: