Saturday, March 03, 2007

I did I did I did the Iditarod trail...






Well, give me a team and a good lead dog and a sled that's built so fine, and let me race those miles to Nome 1,049. And when I get back to my home hey I can tell my tail, I DID I DID I DID THE IDITAROD TRAIL!
Those were the words of a classic song all Alaskan elementary schoolers learn and love (me being one of them) when growing up in the AK. Today was definitely a fun day for the Comin fam because we were able to go see the ceremonial start of the Iditarod dogsled mushing race which is a huge thing here! It goes across the state, which if anyone has seen a map, is a looooong distance. First off is the Fur Rondy Festival which is a week before the actual start and the culmination of the festival is the race. The start of the race is in Anchorage and you can go cheer the mushers on at the start. These people are like local heroes so in the pics above are mushers Martin Buser who is a 4-time Iditarod champion and Dee dee Jonrowe who is a breast cancer survivor, ironman finisher, and long-time Iditarod musher (You can't see it very well, but all her dogs harnesses are pink and she's decked out in pink for breast cancer awareness). Anyway, it was a blast and the mushers are great. They even toss out doggie booties to the crowd! After that, we headed over to the snow sculpture competition and saw all the sculptures. We had Brighton stick her tongue out to lick one and it got stuck! Just kidding. But she did like the looking at all the snow and it was a fun way to finish off the festivities. Needless to say it was quite an Alaskan day!

2 comments:

Clarissa Meegan said...

Danie, are those fleece lined pants? Must be cold for that!

{B}dreamy said...

How cool is that?! And I'm not asking about the weather! :)

Seriously, I would have LOVED to have been there, how fun; how jealous am I?!

Question: Are you loving your life??? Ha!