Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Princess's 6th Party

Prepare yourself because this is a long post! Brighton turns 6 tomorrow and because we are leaving soon, I thought it would be nice if we had a birthday party for her. When I asked her what type of birthday, she immediately said Rapunzel. I thought her love for the princess would wain in time but if you'll remember, last year all she wanted was Rapunzel stuff for her birthday. So it goes without saying, but our house is full of purple and gold! Anyway, this year Rapunzel was still on the brain so, thanks to pinterest, we had a pretty fun and creative day!


Here are the decorations, all homemade (I am a cheapo) and super simple, but brighton loved that they looked like we were in the town village. She also loved the jello boats. My kids favorite part of the movie, for some odd reason, is when someone yells "To the boats!" after they all get done dancing in the square so every time they'd see these jello boats in the fridge, they'd start yelling that in the house.


I found the easy idea to make a tower cake out of donuts, which in theory was great, but by the time the party started, it ended up being quite a few inches smaller due to the weight of all the other donuts. I'm sure there was a better execution than mine, but I was in a rush that morning so this is as good as it got. Not impressive, but Brighton love, love, loved it. Also, we played pin the nose on Flynn Rider and we had a tower piƱata which unfortunately (or maybe it was a good thing) I didn't get a picture of before it was demolished. I made it out of a plastic container and when they couldn't break it, we just took off the top. Sad, I know, but they were just going to bust it up anyway.


Also, as a party favor I made these Pascal party blowers which were a hit. All of them had pink tongues but Porter's just had to be a boy's color so his was green.


After eating and opening presents, the girls were able to go play on the
playground since we had the party at a park (best place to have it by the way). Although, running around and playing in the sprinklers made them hungry again, so they came back and polished off the rest of the mini cupcakes. It seemed like it was a good day, and even though I didn't get half the pictures I wanted to, I'm sure the memories will last.


One of the pictures that I didn't get but wanted to was of all the girls wearing their Rapunzel hair. One of the other party favors I made was Rapunzel tiaras with yarn hair. I think this was the highlight of every guest's day. They all seemed to love them. Brighton wore hers to the party and even added flowers for a real Rapunzel effect. I took these after the party when she put on her fake nails (one of her birthday presents). Just had to document it all.


And Porter had a good time too except for when he got sent to timeout for turning the sprinklers on. The poor kid can never catch a break.


This little guy was a champ for the whole thing. Didn't cry a bit, even when he was food-deprived thanks to a frantic mom trying to corral the little princesses.
All-in-all it was a great day and one of the things that made it even more special was that my mom came all the way from Alaska to help out with it. Brighton loved having Nana there and we all had a great day. Happy Birthday Sweets!

No comments: