Wednesday, November 09, 2011

The Arrival



So I figured I better get on here and record what happened the day we became parents of 3 before it becomes a hazy mess in my head and I think I can go through having a baby again sometime soon. Kyle and I have been praying that the baby would come anytime after the 10th of November since that was the day of his last final, but with our bad luck, Graham entered the world on the day Kyle took his first exam, thus making the rest of the week a chaotic one. On Monday (about an hour after Kyle took his test) I had a doctor's appointment. My doc was just going to check to see how dilated I was. If I was past a 4, then he was going to send me over to the hospital because he did not want my water breaking somewhere else and me having the baby in my bathtub or something (as that almost happened with Porter). So when he checked me, he noticed some fluid trickling out. Well, to make a long story even longer, I was dilated to a 5 and I was leaking amniotic fluid, which meant my water hadn't officially broken but it must have gotten snagged and there was a little hole in it. There was no way I could walk around with something like that. It was go time. Luckily we have great friends and family close by and they were ready for the calls to take our kids. Kyle was done with school for the day as well, which was such a blessing because I was a basket case of worry all morning when he was taking his test, for fear that my water would break and he'd miss the birth. Anyway, he was there, and we were ready. We went over to the hospital and at about 7:00 the doctor broke the rest of my water, and at about 8:30, Graham Edward Comin was in our arms. It was definitely a different experience compared to my other 2 births but I guess that's what each child brings to the table...different experiences and different personalities. The contractions were a beast and I don't remember pushing to be that ridiculously intense with my other births, but the finished product is always worth it in the end. We love our little Graham cracker and are so excited he finally joined our family.


He already smiles and has the cutest little dimple. One
of these days I'm actually going to get a shot of it. You can see a little bit of a smirk in this one:



Love the tiny, scaly feet.



The last picture (hopefully) for a while of the fat-faced Danie that always looks terrible before the baby. This was in between contractions. I won't let you see the one that Kyle snapped during a contraction. Not a pretty sight.



The new Big Brother. He's pretty happy.



The super proud big sister 2 times over. She just wanted to sit on the bed and hold the baby forever. Do you love the graham cracker packet she had to put in the picture? They get the biggest kick out of the fact that we can call him that.



I know this pic is kind of cheesy but our nurse was tickled that we named him Graham. She wouldn't stop giving me graham crackers because she thought it was so cute. I ate half of them before this picture so that tells you how many were given to us. I think we're stocked up for a week more.



Me and my kids. Yes I'm still swollen and not the cutest, but when I've got such cute little ones around me, who cares?



Super proud papa here. Something really cool that I forgot to mention was that since our doctor is in our ward and he knows Kyle is in medical school (well, CRNA school to be exact), he let Kyle deliver Graham. I think he thought Kyle would be doing OB rotations and stuff like that, but that's not the case. That's alright though because Kyle got to have an awesome experience and deliver the babe. Dr. Erickson gave him a little tutorial about 5 minutes before I pushed little Graham out and Kyle was able to do all the work and catch the little guy. I think it meant a lot to Kyle and I was happy he was able to do it.


4 comments:

Clarissa Meegan said...

Graham Cracker?! I hadn't even thought of that. You know Pat's going to love that!

Loved the story. Wish I were there to snuggle him...and let you have a nap. I'm glad that Kyle's around so you can.

Kyle, is that facial hair?

Anonymous said...

You look beautiful and healthy. What sweet pictures of your family.
Graham is a terrific name too. You can see the smile playing on his face.

Congratulations again.

Jo

Jessica said...

This makes me so weepy! What a wonderful everything! Congratulations!

{B}dreamy said...

Shut up, you look great! And congratulations on your newest addition! I guess this means you won't have time to get together anytime soon... *B