Sunday, September 12, 2010

we're bAcK



So, since it's been such a long time since I posted, I thought I'd just fill you in on the highlights of our long and fun trip. First, like I said before, we went to Washington where my friend and I did a marathon. Next we were off to Alaska for a whole month to visit my parents. We had so much fun that all the things we did turned into one giant awesome blur of a month so here's a recap in no specific order:

1. A mother black bear and her 3 cubs found a garbage sack across the street from my parents' house and tore it to shreds. It all afternoon and we were watching in the safety of our home so it felt like a homemade zoo.

2. My sister and her fiancee came up for 2 weeks we went hiking, played games, and talked all the time. I forgot how much I miss her. She's the best.

3. We went hiking at Winner Creek. This might not be that cool to anyone else but it was super special for me because on the hand tram where we're standing (which is like 200 feet above a rushing river by the way) was where Kyle proposed to me 6 years ago! We hadn't been back since so it was really great to be there and remember that special day.

4. It's amazing how much you take for granted the beauty if the earth until you don't live in a place that is abundant with rich scenery. That is our case in Texas. It is a desert wasteland so it was nice to be able to walk out the front door and see the mountains and rivers in your front yard. Just one more thing to miss while living in TX.

5. Brighton missed her G' Pops so much. She loved snuggling up to him and reading a book or watching a movie together. She's definitely a Grandpa's little girl.

6. We got a special treat when my Grandpa said he was coming to visit for a little while during our time in AK. My grandparents live in Michigan/Florida so it was a long trip for him to come see us and we really appreciated it. He got to meet Porter for the first time and see Brighton again. We loved having him there. He will go with the flow and participate in anything we're doing. We love, love, love him. Our only regret is that my Grandma couldn't come with him. We missed you Grandma, so hopefully we'll be able to come out and see you soon!

7. We were so close to the temple and since my parents were able to watch the kids, we were finally able to go. The Anchorage temple is close to my heart too because that's where I received my own endowments. It was great to go back.

8. More Hiking pics. This was at Winner Creek again with Sarah and my dad. We made a day of it.

9. Porter loved hanging with G' Pops as well and was sad to see him go back to the slope. They can't wait to see him again.

10. My mom is a walkaholic so it was almost everyday that we were out with her going for walks. The kids loved it and they still talk about all the walks we went on in AK. If I ever say we can't go on a walk to Brighton, her retort is "But Nana always went on walks with us."

11. This is a pic of Grant (My sister's fiancee), Sarah, Kyle, and my dad. We decided to take a break from hiking and I couldn't resist the cute shot.

12. We went four-wheeling quite a bit and even took it out on a 28 mile excursion out to Eklutna glacier which was fun. Sadly, the kids weren't invited to that trip, but they loved driving it in the backyard.

13. This is just another shot of how beautiful it is up there. Everywhere you turn there's a mountain, a river, a moose, or a patch of wild flowers. It's gorgeous and it's nice to have been raised in such a picturesque place and to have that appreciation for the natural gifts Heavenly Father gives us.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Welcome back! Such sweet photos and family! How special you got to go for a whole month! We are back in Cedar and wishing you guys were too!

Johnson Family said...

Sounds like way to much fun...
I've always wanted to go to Alaska maybe some day!!Glad you guys are doing so well, we loved your fun family:-)