Saturday, September 18, 2010

Go Greenwood Rangers Go

Now that I'm all caught up from our vacation, I can move on to more present activities. We live right next to a high school and for the past month we have been able to hear the marching band practice and on our walks we can see the cheerleaders doing their stunts. Brighton has been so curious about them so I told her they've been preparing for homecoming. Well, of course after I explained to her what homecoming was, she was dying to go to one. So this past weekend we were lucky enough to go with our friends, the Ashbakers, to our first west Texas football homecoming game for the Greenwood Rangers which was a sight to see. They had skydivers with rocket shoes bring down the game ball. There was not a kid in sight who didn't have a big gaudy mum on their shirts. The thing to do was paint your jeans with Ranger colors and the unwritten rule was: the tackier, the better, so there were some ridiculous looking people. I'm not kidding. It's crazy out here. This is Tali Ashbaker with Brighton. She's Brighton's favorite pal at church and Tali just loves her. They hung out for most of the game and Brighton thought she was the coolest.

Don't let his face fool you. Porter was seriously loving his life. He would clap and cheer when everyone else did. He loved trying to find the ball on the field. He was a hoot.

Here is the first rocket skydiver flying into the field.

The last skydiver had the ball to give to the officials. Only in Texas would they make such a crazy entrance for a football game.

Brighton's favorite part of the event was the marching band. They are a nationally ranked team so it was cool to see how awesome they were. I grew up in a place where marching bands were non-existent so it's cool to see them in real life (I'm lame, I know).

I just had to take one more shot of Tali with her huge mum in all its glory. I'd say her's was average size. There were plenty that hung to the ground and it looked like girls were about to fall forward due to the meaty ribbon arrangements.

Last, but not least, we couldn't leave the game without seeing a "royal homecoming princess" (Brighton was loving it) with her 10-gallon hat dad and cowgirl boots. It was a classic Texas night and we really enjoyed it!

3 comments:

marcie said...

Oh my gosh, that makes me so happy that you were able to experience Texas football, and Homecoming no less. It's funny when I'd try to explain this CRAZY phenomenon that is HIGH SCHOOL football out here, but words simply will not suffice, it is something that you have to see with your own eyes!

And, oh, the stories that I could tell you about girls and their mums-- ripped shirts from being too heavy, ones that have battery powered lights, girls ripping them off of each other getting into huge mum cat fights for goodness only knows what drama reason!

Also, I think that those high school seniors would be SHOCKED to hear their jeans called tacky, but they'll understand in a few years! I saw some girls in Chick-fil-A the other day on a game day, and I just looked in shocked horror wondering what exactly I looked like to other people in high school, haha :)

The Anderson's said...

Oh my gosh that is crazy! I think everyone needs to experience some Texas football, including myself :) Not sure if you saw my previous comment but Kyle was a missionary in my hometown and you guys have such a cute family!

Sarah and Mike said...

It looks so fun! Give Brighton and Porter hugs from me! I loved getting to know them at the family reunion and wish you guys lived closer!