Sunday, August 14, 2011

Rehashing the Reunion

It has been a while since I've posted basically because we've been out of town. We had the privilege of going to Kyle's family reunion. Some people may think that this is kind of a crazy thing to do because Kyle wasn't going with me and the kids, but I feel so close to his family that it wasn't an issue. We just had a blast. First we traveled to Cedar City, UT to stay with Casey and Ty (Kyle's sister and bro-in-law) for a few days. We always love playing with them. Then Casey and I went with our kids up to Kyle's parents' house up in Pleasant Grove before we made the long journey to Casper, WY for the reunion. While we were in Pleasant Grove, Porter was obsessed with grandpa. He couldn't get enough of him and I don't think Kyle's dad could get enough of little Porter. They were buddies and I loved seeing them interact. Also, while we were at their house, the kids got to pick fresh fruits and veggies with grandma because they have a great garden in their backyard. It was a great visit and we loved seeing them after so long.
Anyway, after our UT trip, we made our way to the reunion in Casper. This is where Kyle was born and I've never been there before so it was kind of neat to see where the Comin siblings grew up. The reunion was amazing. I am so glad I went. There were so many things to do and people to see. Here's are some of the highlights of what we did there:
  • There was a zipline that both my kids loved going down. People thought I was a little nuts for going down it being 6 months prego, but it was fun nonetheless. Porter just had to go down with Uncle Will a bunch of times who he thought was the coolest guy ever.
  • Brighton got to hang out with her 2 favorite cousins in the world. All three of them were born within 6 months of each other and they are inseparable the second they get around each other. Landon (in the top right corner) and Olivia (top left corner) are the funnest cousins to be around.
  • Kyle's cousin Bernie came up with a skit for all the kids to be in and Brighton and Olivia got to be fairies which they were thrilled about.
  • They had all the little ones make costumes and had a parade around the campground. Porter loved it. Brighton was not a fan.
  • There was a sandbox near the lodge for kids to play in. At any given time there were at least 9 kids digging around in it. It was the best entertainment and kept the little ones occupied while the adults sat around and talked.
  • Speaking of talking, there was so much time to just sit and catch up on everyone's lives. Some people I had never met or the last time I saw them was at my wedding, so it was nice to finally see the people Kyle has told me all about these past years.
  • Brighton and Porter got to see their great-grandparents and that's always a special thing. Kyle has many fond memories of his grandparents and wants his kids to know who they are. I get a little emotional every time I see a big family picture of the Comins. His grandparents are converts and every time I see the whole family together I think of all the lives they have impacted. It's phenomenal really.
  • For every Comin reunion on the last night we are all there, there is a testimony meeting. If there's nothing else I go for, it is this. I love hearing the testimonies of my family members. It was uplifting and made me feel extremely close to those who I know I'll see in the life to come. Some of those testimonies are still very close to my heart and I won't soon forget them.

Traveling with 2 kids (while pregnant I might add) in a car for about 36 hours total is never a fun thing to do, but I am so grateful that I was able to go and I know it was worth it for me and my kids. Kyle was grateful that we got to know his family and who he is a little more as well. Thanks for all the great memories Comin Family! They will be cherished!

1 comment:

Annie Hatch said...

Such good memories, thanks for the pictures!