Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Backyard

So I'm back tracking like normal because of my procrastination when it comes to blogging. It seems like after Halloween hits, there's not enough time in the day to do holiday things, clean the house, take care of the kids, make dinner, etc... and then I have to blog after all that is done? No thanks. Anyway, much has been happening now, but I wanted to backtrack to when my parents came because I wanted to share with you what my dad is like when he comes to visit. I'm a lot like my dad in the fact that I always have to be going, going, going all the time. I always have to have a project I'm working on or be busy around the house which is just like my dad. This does not bode well for us when we're on vacations because relaxing just isn't in our mental capabilities. So it was no surprise when we woke up one morning and my dad had already started working on astroturfing our backyard! It was actually a great idea because the previous renters didn't do anything to the backyard so there was nothing but dirt and gravel. It's a pretty tiny yard so we just didn't really think to do much to it ourselves either. Brighton was always asking to go outside but it was just gross out there and I hated the kids playing outside. Anyway, I wanted to show the progress of my dad and Kyle's project so here it is:

Before...dirt, rocks, potholes, yuck.


Step 1: Pouring sand into the entire yard to even the ground out.
Brighton even got in on the action. We all had to "walk like a penguin" as she calls it in order to press down the sand.

Step 2: Laying out the astroturf. It's coming along!

Step 3: Nailing the wood plank sides to secure the astroturf.

And ta da! Now we have a backyard fit for a football player! Brighton loves it back there. She always asks if I can cook on the grill so she can have an excuse to play outside. Now if only it would warm up in Texas so we can enjoy our yard! Thanks mom and dad for coming out and doing everything you do!

2 comments:

Clarissa Meegan said...

What a great idea! You will love it once it warms up!

marcie said...

That is SO cool! I'm way impressed, and it definitely beats mud being tracked into the house with real grass... that right there makes me a fan :)