Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Surgery & Thanksgiving Update

So we survived the Thanksgiving week which included a trip up to Primary Children's for Porter's hernia surgery. Kyle's mom came to meet Porter for the first time and visit us at the hospital which was great. The surgery went well and there were no complications so that was a relief. It was a routine procedure, so there wasn't too much to worry about, especially when you see all the other children there with so many more issues than a little hernia. I am so grateful we just have to deal with a hernia and our kids are healthy for the most part. I think I take advantage of our health and going to Primary and seeing all the major things families have to see their children go through gave me a reality check of how blessed we really are. I just have to say that Primary Children's is seriously the best hospital. They made sure you were okay with everything and very aware of what was happening. The entire staff was helpful and friendly and I definitely felt assured putting my 6-week-old in the arms of the anesthesiologist that he would be safe. It was an all-around great experience and I'd recommend the place to anyone who has a child with medical needs.


Porter in his tiny hospital gown (It was pretty cute).

Kyle, Porter, and Grandma Kathy post-surgery.
The little recovering Porter and his battle wound. He's just coming out of the anesthesia here.

*****

While we were in Salt Lake, Brighton stayed in Provo with her Aunt Annie and cousin Landon. She had a ton of fun and didn't even notice we were gone. Big thanks go to Annie for watching Brighton all day! I know Brighton definitely appreciated the time she spent with family, so thanks Annie.
Brighton and Landon camping out.
Brighton loved Landon's horse and talked about it for a week after we got home!

************
So after we got the surgery over with, we went back home on Wednesday and celebrated Thanksgiving with Casey and Tyler and had an awesome dinner with all the trimmings (mostly thanks to Tyler's cooking perfection, but everyone was involved.). Casey had all these activities planned for Brighton so we had a very festive Thanksgiving and it was a blast. I am seriously dreading the day when we have to move away from them. It has been great having them so close. It's one of the things I'm most grateful for this year!
Brighton, Kyle, and Casey making a pilgrim house for the FHE pilgrims we made.


The boys doing what they do best: watching football.

Aunt Casey helping Brighton make necklaces and bracelets. She hasn't taken hers off since Thanksgiving!Mom and Brighton wearing matching bracelets. And if you haven't noticed, this is curly sue Brighton. The results of sponge curlers. It makes her look a lot more like her dad when she's got it done like this.


Anyway, it was a great day. Happy belated Thanksgiving to all out there!

4 comments:

Haley and Jon said...

Your kids are so cute! I am glad the surgery went well. That must have been a little stressful, routine or not.

Annie Hatch said...

k, I've been dying to see how Brighton's hair turned out with the curlers! She is so stinkin' cute, I love it!

Robert Lee Jefferson said...

Routine or not, the thought of one's offspring going under the knife is not a good feeling. I think of how fortunate you’re Mom and I were when it came to yours and Sarah's health. I am brought to tears when I think of the defenseless babies fighting to survive some ailment. A couple of months ago I was in Wal-Mart and witnessed a thirtyish-or-so mom guiding her 7-8 year old to maneuver her way out of the store. The girl was using a cane for the blind. It struck me pretty hard and I've never felt more useless. There was and is nothing I could do to change her condition. The emotion was overwhelming and at that moment I wished she could have traded places with me. Sometimes life seems so unfair. I'm the blessed one.
I love you, Dad

"I felt bad when I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet"

Corynn said...

I'm glad everything went good. Brighton's hair is cute. I thought her hair just got curlier like Kyle. That would've been cute, but maybe your glad it's not natural.