Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Craft Corner


The kids' favorite thing in the world to do is craft it up. Anytime they can, they jump at the chance to paint, glitter, glue, and cut to their heart's content. So you'd think I would be a good mom and let them, but that is not the case. Maybe this is just the selfish behavior in me, but I absolutely hate the mess it makes and I am not willing to spend my afternoons wiping up red globs of gooey crafts. But thankfully when we moved here, the great compromise was born. We have a deck with all of our outdoor equipment and food storage and all that stuff that would be perfect for a garage. But it also has just enough space for a craft table. The kids can go out there with their paper and markers and spend hours doodling and drawing and gluing with pleasure at their 'craft corner'. And mom doesn't have to beg them to clean up their mess because they know they are stuck out there until everything is cleaned up (Call me a bad mom but it's effective.). It's a win-win solution for us all and it has definitely scratched their itch for the arts.

*This particular afternoon Brighton brought her latest creation to me and said, "Mom you just have to blog about this one. It's too pretty for just our family to see." So it is shown above. When your 5-year-old demands that her masterpiece be blogworthy, you know you blog too much.

No comments: