Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Miss and the Not so Much


As we were visiting our favorite park for one of the last times, the reality of moving hit me so I started thinking a lot about what I will miss and what I'm okay with saying goodbye to when we're gone. I've come up with an even 5 on both sides. So here it goes:

Things I Will Miss About Midland

1. Good friends- we've made a few great friends here that I feel like I could truly rely on in times of need. They have been our family while we've been away from family and they will be truly missed.
2. Having a garage- I know it sounds lame but we've never had a garage before and now that we are going back to being garageless, I don't know what I'll do. It's my storage unit and my extra room. It will definitely stink without one.
3. My young women- I've posted about this before, but I will miss the sweet, quirky girls that I teach. They're great and it was one of my favorite callings ever.
4. Running- this might sound like a weird thing to miss, but I will miss running in Midland because thanks to the flatlands, there are absolutely no hills to run on. It makes races quite fun and makes me feel faster than I probably actually am.
5. The sunsets- The one perk about no mountains as far as the eye can see, is that when the sun sets, it goes on for miles and the sky is painted with pinks and oranges. It's gorgeous.

Things I Will Not Miss About Midland

1. The scenery- I know I just got done saying I will miss the gorgeous sunsets, but the truth is, the other 12 hours out of the day that I'm awake, there is nothing but oilfields and tumbleweed to look at. Coming from Alaska with the mountains and Utah with the red rock, that's just not the prettiest picture to me.
2. The water- the water here is so terrible, they advise you not to drink from the tap. We would have to go out and buy gallons upon gallons of water all the time and it drove me nuts! Goodbye to nasty agua!
3. The Air Conditioning- This was a constant argument in our house. Since the place we rented was so old, the AC (and heating for that matter) were awful. Kyle would sleep during the day upstairs where it's stifling hot and I would be stuck downstairs with 2 freezing kids and some very cold tootsies. I will definitely not miss living in 2 stories and will not miss being frozen out of my own house.
4. Kyle working nights- We've made it through 2 years with Kyle working nights, but seriously enough is enough. We never really get to see him and he's always recovering from work. Don't get me wrong, we understand that he needs to and he's working hard for our family and we appreciate him, but we hate it. And he hates it. It will be a nice feeling to go to bed knowing that Kyle is next to me (Even if he's studying into all hours of the night).
5. Being Texan- This might sound really rude, but I just don't like saying I'm from Texas. I feel like it was a great place for our family to live these past 2 years, but it never really felt like home. I really feel like we were transplanted there for a little while but it's definitely time for us to leave and sadly I will still say I'm from Alaska (or maybe even Utah) but we just lived in Texas for a bit.

Overall, Texas will be missed but the journey ahead seems too exciting to look back. Arizona here we come!


No comments: