Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Father's Day Fiasco


We started our Father's Day like any other normal family would, with the kids waking kyle up with presents and squealing with excitement as he opened them up. Then we all got ready and went to church. Every year the primary children in church are supposed to get up on the stand and sing a song or 2 to their daddys. This happens on Mother's Day as well, but Brighton was too scared to go up in May. We've been talking about her walking up with all the other children and she's been really excited about singing all week. Up until the second they called the kids up, she was happy, but the instant it was her job to walk up there and sing to dad, she froze like a popsicle. Finally, the music teacher took her hand and helped her get onto the stand. I thought that once the songs started she'd be fine and sing. Not the case. She kept taking deep breaths to keep from crying(a trick her mom has had to teach her in possible meltdown situations) and made it through the first song without any tears(although there were no words from the song out of her mouth either). Maybe it was the fact that she had to stay up there for one more song, but when that second daddy song started playing, she completely lost it! She had her little turtle beak out and she was sucking air as hard as she could! Tears were just streaming down her face and there was nothing I could do! Luckily it was a low sob so it didn't hinder the song, although everyone and their dog were staring at her and her super sad little face. Sadly, most people (including myself I'm sorry to say)thought it was pretty funny and couldn't help but laugh. I had a lot of mixed emotions. I was basically mortified because she made a complete spectacle out of herself and I was laughing at my little girl(great parenting skills, right?). I was also feeling super sad for her because of this debilitating anxiety that she has that we somehow have to work on. In those few minutes that she was up there, I was on the verge of tears and giggling in my seat all at the same time. And I felt helpless. I couldn't do anything for her and she was struggling. I wonder if that's how our Heavenly Father feels about us when we struggle and don't ask for his help. On this Father's Day I just wanted to say that I'm grateful for all the fathers in my life. Kyle, my dad, and especially my Heavenly Father. They're there for me when I have hardships and need them, and they love me unconditionally. I hope we can all remember the important dads in our lives today and let them know how important they are to us. Happy Father's Day!

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Its a wonderful story you posted. You're a great Mom, it was just a moment in time when you appear to be in self doubt after the fact. No worries, it all worked out didn't it? Besides look at your own parents (especially your Mom), you've had great teachers. I absolutely LOVE the photo of Kyle and Brighton. Priceless....
Love, A Cyn.

Hatch Family Blog said...

That is soo sad...but I have to admit I was laughing while I read it too. Poor little thing!!! I just want to give her a big hug!! Go Kyle on the Tri!!! Who knew my bro was such a stud?
I am gonna try to do swim lessons this fall or winter...hopefully he loves it just like Brighton cause right now he hates getting his face/ears wet. Kind of annoying when we are at 7 peaks all the time! Cant wait to see you at the reunion!!
Annie

Jo said...

Hi Dani,
Great posts lately.I read them occasionally just to keep up.

Brighton will probably not suffer any permanent psychological damage from the Father's Day experience and you will have a great story to tell when she becomes Speaker of the House or something like that.

Good job on the tri Kyle.
Glad all is well.
mjo